Sunday, August 4, 2019

friends of the dusk

Phil Rickman is an English author described as a writer of 'supernatural and mystery novels.' He's pretty deep into it at this point, and because this book had the feel of a recurring character, I took a look-see and sure enough: the Merrily Watkins series has 16 books, and I happened upon a recent one, from 2015, is number 14 in the series. Merrily Watkins is his most written about character by far. All of his writings, in the order they were written is on BookSeriesInOrder.com, as is the quote about his penchant noted above.

Merrily is a vicar in the Church of England, and an exorcist, which the church apparently refers to as deliverance, rather than exorcism. I don't recall seeing it in the text, but perhaps that makes Merrily a deliverist? She lives in a small town in England close to the border with Wales, which may have even been part of Wales at some point. Anyhow, maybe Wales is just spookier than England proper, who knows, but I don't think Americans are Rickman's target audience, too many Englishisms in the text. I get the feeling that Merrily maybe a little bit like that lady in our TV show, Murder She Wrote. I've talked about Dame Angela Lansbury's character before in similar situations. There's something weird about mysteries and homicides popping up around some sweet lady, episode after episode. is it me, or is it weird that British born Dame Angela, recently knighted by the queen, plays a homegrown detective in Maine? Anyhoo...

Rickman sets the tone early, its creepy and slightly eerie very early on, and tension slowly builds throughout the story. I don't think its a spoiler to say that the tension Rickman built up was squandered in my opinion. I was expecting some kind of ass-kicking, pits-of-hell-unroofed finale, but maybe that's the ugly American talking. The story was resolved just fine, but with more whimper and less bang. I guess that's appropriate for a vicar. Maybe the target audience is similar to Murder She Wrote, and Rickman and his publishers don't want to give anyone a heart attack, but don't let me dissuade you, I've only read one of these books, and otherwise it was very good. Spooky, as I said, tightly written; Merrily Watkins is a well developed character, and her personal story is engaging as well.

If I see another one, I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully earlier in the series. I enjoyed it overall, just a little let down at the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...