This cherry of a bookmark was a gift from a co-worker who had the opportunity to visit the Martin House recently. The marker is made of solid wood, and is laser cut or etched in the field with an image of the Martin House. The field looks like cherry, and is bordered with contrasting parquetry, which may be walnut, rosewood and maple. Its sanded smooth and finished, and its about 1/16-inch thick.
The Darwin D. Martin House, at 125 Jewett Parkway, Buffalo, New York, was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, for Darwin and Isabelle Martin, and completed in 1905, but workmen remained on site until 1907, when the work was finally completed and Wright signed off. The Martin House is one of the structures that make up the Martin House Complex, which also includes the George F. Barton House, as well as the Martin pergola, conservatory, carriage house and Gardener’s cottage.
The Martin House Complex is located within the Parkside East Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Parkside was laid out by landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted in 1876 and was part of the first public parks system in America.
Thanks to Alyson!