Sunday, November 12, 2023

fallen

The Fallen is a novel by David Baldacci in his Memory Man series. I’ve read a couple of these at this point, in no particular order as I’m usually grabbing one of my wife’s books when I don’t have anything else to read.

I’m not sure if was just this book or if it’s a pattern with Baldacci but this book has a really high body count, and like a lot of similar and unlikely storylines, the Memory Man just happens to be in town on vacation when he and his partner stumble into a multiple murder, which just happens to be murders 5 and 6 in what looks like a small town serial killing. 

 

Not oddly coincidental enough for you? Did I mention that memory man is on vacation with his female FBI partner, with whom he does not share an intimate relationship, and she is visiting her family. What, you don’t do that with your co-workers? Did I mention that the murder scene is the house directly behind the sisters house, where they are all staying?

 

I’ve used the Murder She Wrote comparison for this before: Jessica Fletcher is visiting and old friend that she hasn’t seen in years, and we’ve never met on the show, and on the first day of her three day stay, the golf pro who lives next door happens to get murdered in his hot tub with a golf iron. Good thing Jessica is there…. She’s like the four horsemen rolled into one, in a hip length sweater and sensible shoes. 

 

Dame Angela Lansbury... this must have been season 1


I get it, let’s just set the stage and get this mystery started. Folks pound through these books like a weekly TV series, and they’re willing to suspend disbelief enough to settle in and enjoy themselves. I’m there too, I just can’t read too many of these without mixing it up with something a little more carefully crafted or even challenging. 

 

Is this a solid entry in the series? Yep, as far as I can tell. If you’ve enjoyed others in the series this one is just fine. And I know I’ll end up reading another one, I just won’t go to the store or the library looking for a book like this. 

 

I think I just said I’m lazy. That what you heard?

 

 

[Note: This is another late one, I started this draft on October 17.] 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...