Monday, July 17, 2023

code of conduct

Scot Harvath is at it again, in Brad Thor's new spy/counterterrorism adventure, Code of Conduct. Well, I say new, but its just new to me. The copyright date is 2015, so I'm assuming this book has either been kicking around the house a while, or my wife bought in (along with a handful of other adventure books, I assume) on a more recent outing and I just found it. Either way, this is the kind of book my wife likes to read, and I read by default. 

I'm not complaining, I enjoy the spy/crime/intrigue novel as much as the next person, I just find that this isn't the type of book I actively go looking for at the library or the book store. I do buy books like this when I find them at book sales and the like, because I know that my wife and I will both get to read them. My wife is not likely to read the fantasy, or scifi, or surreal books which tend to be my first choices when I'm doing the aforementioned active looking.

Scot Harvath fills the role of  kick-ass guy in Thor's adventure series, commonly referred to as the Scot Harvath Series. I wouldn't worry too much about what the series is called, it doesn't look like Brad Thor has another series. Its working for him, so why mess with it. Code of Conduct is book 14 in the 22.5 book series. yeah, I don't know, that's just the way its written

This book--again, copyright 2015--is about a pandemic that spreads around the world pretty quickly, infecting folks from the poorest to the rich and powerful. So its a little eerie to think of him banging away on his word processing app writing this story of a pandemic 5-years before COVID, and just to get the conspiracy theory junkies all juiced, Thor's pandemic is a man-made terrorist attack, with some megalomaniacal, new-world-order sauce thrown in there. 

This isn't the first time Brad Thor has written a Harvath book that seems to predict the future either, sooo...

In my review of the last book I read in this series I said that Scot "Harvath is your standard super secret agent man..."* I had the same feeling about the Harvath character in this book, as you can see above. I'm not sure that's a big problem, Thor is writing a pretty good action story and doesn't get too wound up about the backstory or supporting characters so much, but I did get the sense that there was some depth to these characters, its just that I think you'd have to read a bunch of these books in order to understand that.


* Yeah, I just quoted myself. Get your own blog.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...