Tuesday, July 18, 2023

midnight library

I'm not sure when or even why I added The Midnight Library to my reading list. My reading list, by the way, is in a few forms: a list I keep on my public library account, occasionally a written note when I hear something from someone, perhaps on the radio, and most often, photos of book covers that I see in my travels. 

This one came from my library account reading list, and tho I sometimes add a note about where I heard about it, this title has no note. I'm guessing I heard about it on the radio. This book was on the NYT Best Sellers list for a while, and so it probably got some radio time.

A quick look on The Books tab here, confirms that I haven't read anything else by Matt Haig, at least in the last 14 years. This book was located with the travel books at the library, which I though was interesting. I assume that was a kind of marketing ploy, like putting some bananas near the cereal at the supermarket. There was some traveling, certainly, in this book, altho it was mainly confined to the spiritual plane between the infinite versions of the multiverse. I will concede, however, that whilst visiting said alternate realities, the physical location of our protagonist, Nora Seed, did vary on occasion.

Confused yet?

Its simple, really; The Midnight Library is an examination of lives unlived. Its a what-if book, that allows Nora Seed to examine how her life may have been were she to have made different choices; and through her, we are encouraged to examine our own lives, our regrets, and our potential alternate lives. Think of Ebenezer Scrooge, and how he was able to reexamine his past, present and future lives as an outside observer, and to take from that what he could. Nora Seed is given a similar opportunity, sans ghosties. sort of

Its hard to give you a better idea without spoilers, and perhaps I've gone too far down that road for some. This was an entertaining, fast read. It started out rather depressing, but I had a feeling it would be okay in the end (I'm an optimist!) It did get better, but it was cloudy day or two at the beginning. If you are already depressed, this may help, but you've have to slog down into the valley before coming up into the sun on the other side. Stick with it, if you think you're up to it.

Based on some of the other titles from Matt Haig, this is his sandbox. I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to read more of his stuff. If this one helps, the others may as well. For me, I think it helped me to understand depression and regret a little bit more, but, like A Christmas Carol, it puts too rosy of a glow on what the possibilities are for folks that are struggling, and if I were struggling, I'm not sure if I'd see this as a positive, or if I'd see it as sweet, but unrealistic fantasy for those who have to deal with regret and despair. cheer up bunky! it could be worse, and it might even get better!

Yeah, I'm not sure that's the kind of thing depressed and/or despairing folks can effectively onboard, but I'm not an expert, you do what's right for you. On balance, I enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...