Wednesday, December 8, 2021

night fire

The Night Fire is a recent Michael Connelly novel in the Harry Bosch series that has more recently evolved to include another LAPD detective named Renée Ballard. I get the feeling we’ll be seeing the two of these characters for a while and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more of Ballard, perhaps in a novel of her own. 

Bosch and Ballard make a pretty good team but it's clear that they aren’t partners in the traditional police detective mold and that gives them more flexibility to pursue things on their own when they need to. That aspect of their relationship, along with the fact that they are often working on different cases, is what makes me think we may see Ballard on her own at some point, much the way we saw the Lincoln Lawyer step out. Do I have that right? Was the Lincoln Lawyer a spin off of Bosch, or vice versa? so i checked According to this site, the Bosch books began in 1992, and Mickey Haller, the aforementioned enLincolned lawyer, showed up in 2005.*

This was the last book I had around so I’ll have to venture back out to the library to find some other things to read.** This was a good installment in the series but by no means the best. There were a couple of plot points that made me say really? I not sure they could pull that off. But Connelly had the answers for the most egregious of those things and only the fiddly stuff got by, so good on you Mike. Can I call you Mike? Seems like I’ve known you for years. 

I assume Bosch fans are all aware of the Amazon TV series about Bosch. While I was rabbit-holeing why does that sound off-color? around on the internets, I learned that a new Bosch series, as well as a Lincoln Lawyer series are both in the works, and Michael Connelly is reportedly involved in both. And on a related note, I'll leave you with this tidbit, which I thought was charming. Michael Connelly dedicated The Night Fire to Titus Welliver, and thanked him for bringing Bosch to live.


* I read The Lincoln Laywer, but it doesn't show up on this blog, which only dates back to 2009. For the record, it was pretty good. I enjoyed it enough that I also watched the movie, which was also pretty good.

** UPDATE: I found a Brad Thor book called Near Dark in the house that I'm going to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...