Friday, December 3, 2021

identical

Identical is a novel written by Ellen Hopkins--in verse--for the teen lit market, based on the labeling from the library (weeded and discarded by my local library) the tone of the blab on the back cover, and the front matter, the subject matter, and feedback from my oldest. Some of that feedback included a summary of books chosen by school departments for students, usually being centered on teen suicide, drug use, Nazis, or all of the above.

No Nazis in this one. but just about every other horror

I picked this up from the library book sale for two reasons. The first, and most import reason is that I needed something to read. The second reason is because a quick flip through this told me it was a novel written in poetry. I mean, come on, sign me up for the crazy stuff. What's this, Beowulf up in here? hwæt!

I can imagine middle school kids reading this for English class, thinking: Why do I have to read this? That's not to say this isn't any good, just seems a little grim for the young adult market. Now, will the harsh realities and horrors described in this story help some kids who have to deal with things like this to feel better, or at least better understood? I guess so. Will it help some dealing with the things described here--or knows someone who is--to get up the strength to ask for help? I guess that may be true as well. But is it worth it to expose the rest of the young population to this, I'm not sure. But, is any kind of discussion about these awful realities which helps to drag them out of the shame and silence that typically surrounds them, and into the light, better than the traditional response of ignoring them. I think the answer to that is a clear yes.

This is an interesting way to spin a tale, and the twists and turns this story takes because of that, makes it worth the read alone. The layering and symmetrical construction of the verse in this story adds to the charm and depth of of the story, in spite of the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...