Monday, March 28, 2011

sherlock holmes ii

Not much to say in this post except an update. I gave up on A Treasury of Sherlock Holmes, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this book STINKS.

Adrian hanging with his Jousting Collection. He's so butch.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the Sherlock Holmes stories very much, but I was right about Treasury. Adrian Conan Doyle screwed this one up, and I won't be going back to read his introduction. Clearly, not all of the stories could be included in a 600-plus page volume, but there are some glaring holes in the overall storyline in the Treasury. Until you've read some of them, you wouldn't know this, and I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that many of the stories refer to earlier works. Not in very substantial ways, but in ways that make it wise to read them all, and to read them in order. Son Adrian chose to leave out stories with some pretty big plot lines, and then put the book together with the remaining stories out of sequence. Yeah...good move. I'm sure dad would be proud.

I have since gone to the library and picked up The Complete Sherlock Holmes, published by Doubleday. Its got all four novels, and all 56 short stories, in order. 1122 pages baby, and an introduction by Christopher Morley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...