Saturday, August 6, 2022

music of the spheres

The Music of the Spheres is the first novel by Elizabeth Redfern, which was published in 2010. Since then she has released one more book that I can find; Auriel Rising, which doesn't seem to have done all that well, given that its hard to find.

The Music of the Spheres doesn't appear to be a wildly popular book either, as I don't get a lot of hits for it when searching the web.* The plot was compelling, but perhaps the book was longer than it needed to be. They used a smaller font when printing it, perhaps to keep the size down (420 pp.) With a larger font, it could have been a considerably larger tome.

The story takes place mostly in 1795 London, during the month of June, and follows Jonathan Absey's increasingly frantic search for those responsible for his daughter's murder. What he ends up uncovering is much more geopolitically charged, and he begins to believe that his daughter's murder was just a small part in a much larger plot having to do with the end of monarchies and the rise of republicanism in Europe.

Perhaps it was Redfern's nod to realism, but readers do like a happy ending, I think or at least something nice to happen to someone along the way, if only to lighten the load of the reality of death.

Nope.

I did find myself wanting to know how it would all end, and I kept up hope, until that end came.

Nope.

 

* I even had trouble finding a decent cover image, and had to take my own photo, which I rarely need to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...