Tuesday, September 21, 2021

ship breaker

I've had a few books tucked away in my public library account read list; Ship Breaker, a young adult novel by Paolo Bacigalupi, is not one of them. Drowned Cities by the same author is, but it wasn't until after I read that one that I discovered that its part of a series, and this current read is the first in that series. Good news is, it doesn't seem to matter much in what order these were read, at least that is my impression after reading two of the three in the series.

Ship Breaker definitely takes place in the same dystopian future Earth as the The Drowned Cities, after what I assume is run away global warming has led to massive ocean level rise and the breakdown of organized governments in favor of a few massive corporations and the rest of humanity living hand-to-mouth in a kind of Mad Max lawlessness, which pockets of semi-civilized population centers that are just mentioned as remote and inaccessible to the poor protagonists that inhabit this series.

One of the characters from The Drowned Cities features in this story as well, so I predict that it may be that character that ties these stories together. I guess we'll see. The third in the series is called Tool of War so I've made my bet already and I'm feeling pretty good about the odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...