Friday, April 12, 2019

days of rage

Pike Logan is compared to Jason Bourne, Jack Reacher, and Jack Bauer, by an author name John Lescroart, according to a quote on the front cover of this paperback. I don't know who Lescroart is, and I've read a few Jason Bourne stories, and a few more Jack Reacher stories, and in my opinion, Logan doesn't compare to those two characters. I'm pretty sure Jack Bauer is the Keifer Sunderland character for the 24 TV show, but I never watched that, so I don't know.

Pike is also a nickname. The character's real name is Nephilim Logan. Reminds me a little of the character name Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch. I think the idea with historic names like these is they bring their history--and some juice--along with them. The Nephilim were early angel/human hybrid beings of immense size and power. So Pike Logan is a big dude, who talks about himself 'being the weapon.' I guess its pretty clear where Brad Taylor was going with this one. typed 'giant' into google is my guess Logan is just 30 pounds or so lighter than Jack Reacher if memory serves, and both Reacher and Jason Bourne were also pretty handy without weapons, so perhaps that's where the comparisons originate.

What is missing in Pike Logan is a framework that we can credibly hang all of the disparate, in not contradictory, personality traits upon. Logan is at once sweet, and thoughtful, and prone to black-out-rage killing. yeah, not sure I can relate He is leader of men and women, and cares deeply about them as people, but also has trouble being led, or following orders. The chain of command is import to him, yet his often disobeys, and is in a sexual relationship with a woman who is essentially a subordinate. He both encourages his girlfriend kill when necessary, while telling her not to worry when she fears the effects killing has on her. He clearly worries about her physical safety, but dismisses her mental safety. To all of this, add that he seems to attack most jobs blindly, and struggles along by will and grit alone. Everyone around him seems to die, including multiple team members. I can't imagine why anyone would go to this guy, never mind when the mission is absolutely critical, which is apparently his specialty.

Days of Rage is not a crappy book, but it certainly wasn't the best thing I've read recently, and it certainly wasn't the best think Brad Taylor has written that I've read. I guess I'd give it a myeh.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...