Thursday, December 6, 2018

deathly hallows

Harry, Harry, Harry.

You old scamp.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is book seven--the last installment--in the Harry Potter series. can she really resist, do you think? Harry, Hermione, and Ron have their work cut out for them in this one. Rowling does a good good of building toward the climax, altho our heroes may have escaped Coldisnort by the very skin of their teeth one too many times for my taste, but this is a kids book after all. My kids had no such concerns when I read this to them first time through.

J.K. Rowling has created a series that is fun, exciting and accessible for kids, with a storyline and plotting complex and well thought out enough for older readers. Moreover, the universe she's created is original, and carefully planned. It has history, depth, and a connection to reality that makes it fun for kids to wonder about what magical things may be lurking just outside their collective understanding.

Harry and company have been through a lot, and what we've learned about them is that they've grown enough to deal with the hardships they've been dealt. Dumbledore and their other teacher's knew they could do it, that they needed to do it, and they did. We were just along for the ride.

I'm not sure if this series will hold up over time, but I'm thinking that it will. I don't know if the books are as popular now as they were when they first came out, but I don't think that's ever the case. Are there more Potter stories out there? Who knows, Rowing has repeatedly said no, and I'm sure they haven't just been asking what her plans are, but rather begging her to make a plan to write more about our hero and his friends.

Read these books.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...