Friday, December 21, 2018

spiders web

After the death of Stieg Larsson in 2004 of a heart attack, I assumed we'd seen the last of Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist.* 

Nope. 

I guess there was just too much juice in these stories to give up on them. According to Eva Gabrielsson, Larsson's long time girlfriend (who apparently also helped with his story development) Larsson had plans for seven more books in the Millennium Series. The Girl in the Spider's Web is the latest installment, penned by Swedish author and journalist, David Lagercrantz, and translated in to English by George Goulding. Goulding is also a switch from the original translator of Larsson's efforts in the series, which were done by Reg Keeland.

I will admit that its fun to Have Lisbeth Salander back, but I'm sorry its not really her. Lagercrantz does a pretty good job, but this story just didn't have the depth of the Larsson stories. This story moved quicker perhaps, but that may be because not as much was happening. Lagercrantz has also introduced some new backstory elements, that I believe he will use to further the overall story arc as he writes more of these stories. Whether these new elements are based on discussions with Larsson, research in his notes, or speaking to someone who may know, such as Gabrielsson, I don't know.

What I do know is that I'll probably read the next one, if and when it shows up in my house, or perhaps at the library book sale, but I'm not in a hurry to do so. Here's hoping Lagercrantz just needs to warm up a bit.


* We have, unfortunately, seen the last of Mikael Nyqvist who played Mikael Blomkvist in the 2009 movie adaptations of the Millennium Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...