Friday, April 1, 2016

buried giant

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro is a short novel set in England in the years after King Arthur faded away to Avalon. The story is slow and contemplative; following the trials of an old couple over the course of a few difficult days in their long lives together. A lot happens in the course of 2 or 3 days to this couple, but Ishiguro takes his time telling it.

After a brief mention of an actual buried giant early on in the story, I felt sure that the title would refer to one of the characters, allegorically. In the end I think the giant in question ended up being a little mushier than that.

I didn't love this book, but I didn't hate it either. I'd have to put it in the myeh list. After a hundred pages or so, I felt like this story had some real legs, and even if it was slow going, I thought it would crack open to reveal something...well, giant.

It didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...