Tuesday, April 5, 2022

termination shock

I will read whatever Neal Stephenson writes, and I'm typically not disappointed. Termination Shock however, was a little slow. I borrowed this book from the library, and I had it for 4 weeks and a day. maybe two days? That's not because I didn't read it, I did. I read a little everyday, but I wasn't absorbed, it didn't take over my life, I didn't spend hours on the couch after weekend breakfasts gobbling this one up. It was good... it just wasn't great.

After an exciting start, this really book got rolling at about page 100. You know; characters developed, stage pieces set, a few teasers floating out there to keep us interested, and I'm ready for that baseline to drop...

Page 300, and the baseline hasn't dropped.

Inspired by Moby Dick, you say? Maybe, that's a good guess. MD is pretty slow, after all. Written in time when folks had nothing better to do, and perhaps appreciated a long tale to stave off boredom. And maybe this is Stephenson's answer to that in our times, with COVID and folks having no place to go. But I'm not buying that. Melville's Pequod perhaps could hold the attention of his audience, but Stephenson's audience has the interwebs, and Netflix. And Candy Crush, or whatever.

A timely glimpse into our possible future? Yep. A well thought out story arc, based on real world problems and science/reality based solutions, as well as believable and appropriate reactions to said problems, and their proposed solutions, helping us to better understand how these news stories we hear about today may actually play out in our futures? Yep, yes, and right on. All that is there, as you'd expect from Neal Stephenson, as well as that well plotted story arc. Just... you know... not enough juice.

For me anyway.

I'm not recommending this one,* but this experience alone doesn't change my stance on Stephenson, he hasn't always knocked it out of the park. Read some of the other stuff. I'd start with Seveneves, and Snow Crash, and then perhaps Diamond Age. You can see all of the Stephenson books I've read (since this blog started) by going to The Books tab. You'll find 10 of his books listed there along with links to my reviews/comments. And if you look to the right, you'll also see that Snow Crash is enshrined in my list of 'great' reads.


* If you love Neal Stephenson and who doesn't you should go ahead and read this. Its a good story, the characters are great, and he's just so smart, its a pleasure to read his prose. Its just a little slow-paced.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...