Wednesday, February 2, 2022

lost apothecary

I started reading a book by Nick Tosches called In the Hand of Dante, but I put it down when I was given a recommendation to read this book; The Lost Apothecary . I'll get back to Tosches at some point,* but when I put the current book on hold at the library, I also asked for another one and its just come up so I'll read that first.

The Apothecary is the debut novel by Susan Penner. Its labeled as mystery at my library, but I'd say intrigue-historical may be a better classification, and its almost light enough to be teen, as it also has some of those elements often seen in teen fiction, altho it does have some more adult themes that teens may be bored by. The story is two fold, or maybe threefold, part taking place in late 1700s London, while some of it takes place in modern day London. The stories are woven together in that the modern day protagonist is trying to understand the story of which she has discovered some clues.

There is a great little 1700s map of the section of London where the action takes place, and it appears that some things have stayed the same, but others have changed drastically. I have no doubt that the mysterious places mentioned in the book no longer exist, if they ever did, in London, but who knows. Its fun to check back on the map and see where these things are relative to one another, and some other larger elements such as the river, and some of the major streets that still are there.

At the root of it, this book is a celebration of the solidarity of women, and how they have to look after and support one another or they'll be forgotten. some of that 'support' is a little grim tho Penner does her part to point out forgotten women in history, who are forgotten simply because the history was written by men. She also reminds us that women long preserved the old ways and old medicines long after the medicine of men became the norm. This was a fun one, and a welcome break from the hard, strange writing of Nick Tosches.

 

* I'll try and remember to come back here and put a link when i write a review, you for those of you using this blog to do research or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...