Wednesday, September 18, 2019

the magicians tres

So it its been a few years, and I decided to re-read Lev Grossman's Magicians Trilogy. This is partially because they made a Syfy series from the books (you can see it on Netflix) that I have found entertaining, but a little too 90210-ish for my tastes. They've also gone a bit off the rails in terms of following the books, but then again, different possibilities or storylines, is specifically discussed in the books, so I guess its just a different timeline/universe the Syfy show is about.

I'm not going to dive too deep into these books, as I've written about them before, but I did get a slightly different sense this time of the overall story arc, and the growth and maturity of Quentin Coldwater, in particular. I will also say that Grossman's dialogue is spot on, the banter and sarcasm of the young characters is hilarious. This is the third time I've read The Magician's since 2011, so your boy Lev is doing something right.

It holds up! I was not disappointed.

You can read my 2011 thoughts on this one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...