Friday, March 29, 2019

bishop's pawn

The Bishop's Pawn is the 13th book in Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series. I've read a bunch of these, usually I grab one from my wife who has probably read more of them that I have. Maybe its a sign that the series is running out of steam that Berry has gone the route of a prequel with this one. There is a 14th book out now as well, and I'm not sure if that is a prequel or not. Bishop's Pawn is also the first in the series, and from what it sounds like, Steve Berry's first foray into first person POV.

One of the recent Jack Reacher stories I read was also a prequel, and I wasn't all that wild about that one either. Part of the problem (I think) is that the character grows, and develops during a long series, and it may be hard for the author to divorce themselves from the changes their character has gone through, which leave that character hanging out in their own past, either too evolved, or not evolved enough for the story, the readers, or maybe both.

I guess what I'm saying is: I hope this isn't a trend we're looking at. The literary equivalent of jumping-the-shark, or the more subtle introduction-of-the-niece-or-nephew to a worn out TV show. yeah, Chachi, Scrappy-Doo, I'm looking at you

The Bishop's Pawn takes Cotton Malone back to his first gig for the Justice Department, and Stephanie Nelle, before the advent of the Magellan Billet. The people and materials he's is chasing down in this one, take their cues form history, as many Berry stories do, but this one is even more difficult to swallow, perhaps because it is so current (mid 20th century) makes it even harder to believe that it could have remained a mystery that Malone needed to chase down, and even harder to believe that we live in a universe where none of that information has ever leaking out.

As I've probably said before, if you're a fan, you'll probably enjoy this. In my case, it was definitely better than reading a clothing catalog until I get to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...