Tuesday, November 13, 2018

sorcerer's stone

A blast from the past.

I've just re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the first time in 10 or 15 years. The last time I read a Harry Potter book, I was probably reading aloud to one of my kids, and they are both in their twenties, so I guess its been a while. I had a feeling that I'd come back to them to read them to myself at some point--it’s a different experience reading them aloud to your kids. That time was probably delayed by the huge impact the movies made on pop culture... and then the VHS tapes and DVDs, which they watched over and over until just a few years ago. I've been feeling a little saturated.

Then my niece decided to have a Harry Potter themed birthday/Hallowe'en party a few weeks ago, and it all came back: the fun, the characters, the adventure and the tragedy. So when I finished the sequel to The Three Musketeers, and I was looking for something fun and light,  suited for fall and early sunsets, Harry Potter seemed like a good choice. nice work on the party k!

I think I cranked through this book in three days. In fact, I've just finished the second one without finding a few minutes to write about this one. J.K. Rowling struck a chord with children and adults alike when she put together this story of an orphan boy of magical birth. Its got all of the hallmarks of a classic epic: heroism, mystery, adventure, coming of age, mentors, reluctant heroism/burden, true friendship, evil nemesis, special powers, and destiny, to name a few.*

Some have said that when they read Harry Potter as an adult, especially when the re-read the books, they find that Professor Dumbledore's treatment of Harry is shameful, even abusive, but to those who suggest that I will point out two things: its a story, and secondly, taking this stance is to project our value system of what is right and wrong, or perhaps more to the point, what is a appropriate for an eleven year old child to deal with, but Harry Potter is not a child from our world, and he doesn't live in our value system. Harry lives in a universe where children have immense power, and with great power, comes great responsibility. You and I are simply not equipped to judge, but I would suggest that Albus Dumbledore is.

For me, the latter point is the more cogent, and closer to my heart but maybe the former is all we really need. meybe y'all shud r'lax lil' bit

Yeah, so relax, and enjoy some Harry Potter. I'll come on back and write a little something about book two pretty soon, but in the meantime, I'll be visiting in on year three at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Read this book. To your kids if you can. I would suggest somewhere around 6 to 8 years old depending on how mature they are. The stories are complex and may be hard to follow for younger kids. Younger kids may also be frightened at some points, it does get tense now and again. Have fun!



* Check out The Hero with a Thousand Faces, by Joseph Campbell for more on this. (Its in my 'great's column to the right!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say it, I want to hear it...